Longing for Peace

This month, the world watched with horror the tragic events of Paris, Bangladesh, and Iraq. Here in the US, the murder of blacks by police continues unabated. Deadly retaliation has put the nation on edge. I remember when I first moved to Osaka from South LA. I was so fearful of the night, that I was often startled by little old ladies walking their dogs, salary men staggering home from work, or people strolling peacefully before dawn. Deprograming my long-cultivated state of anxiety took years. Meanwhile, I meditate on the innocent loss of life, especially the children in Nice, and other war-torn regions of the Middle East and elsewhere. I also look forward to moving back to Japan one day, where unwonted violence is as rare as the peace the world is currently trying to pursue.

Comments